Thursday, December 20, 2012

Don't worry, it will all still be here on Saturday


Mérida, Yucatán -
In recent years, a lot of people have tried to turn a buck on silly, end-of-existence predictions allegedly made by the Mayans. A few of them did. Some actually take the dire warnings literally, or claim they do. Many became self-appointed experts on the subject, after "careful study of sacred texts." Locals, for the most part, have been the big losers, as 2012 didn't quite turn out as planned. Thankfully, it will all be over tomorrow. The media and merchant hype, that is. Not the world.

Note: There's still time to book your reservations for the end of the next Mayan epoch. Based upon my detailed research, and translation of ancient manuscripts, I calculate that to be in 4,985 years, two months, 29 days, 41 minutes and 15.72 seconds - approximately.

Dec. 20 - The president (of Mexico) is on his way here tomorrow, so perhaps he's a true believer. He really should be spending more time at his desk, in my opinion, not playing a modern Indiana Jones.
Oct. 15 - Yucatán tourism continues to languish, after "Mayan effect" prophecies fail to materialize
Oct. 24 - Canadian realtor in Yucatán: foreigners with big bucks are a myth; most on limited budgets

Nov. 30 - Former Yucatán governor Ivonne Ortega Pacheco will collect her reward from PRI
Jan. 14 - Mayan calendar a harbinger of PRI win in 2012, Enrique Peña Nieto says in Mérida

2 comments:

  1. I have spent my entire savings on survival peraphernalia so while you doubters lay dessicated and destroyed, I will be celebrating in my my 6x6 underground bunker until the fires die down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already have my trusty Canon mounted on the tripod and securely placed on the roof terraza of my home, where I intend to pass the night, meditating, chanting in Mayan and sipping a very dry Chardonnay. Although Guadalajara is hundreds of miles west of Mérida, I have no doubt that I'll be able to record the hell fires of Armageddon for MGRR readers. Here's looking at you.

    ReplyDelete