Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hugo Chávez on Muammar Gaddafi: "A murdered martyr, but what can you do?"


All day long I knew I would be writing this post. What's taking him so long, I thought? I guess it's because Chávez was to busy telling everyone who'd listen that there's not a cancerous cell left in his body.

Anyway -- The president of Venezuela did indeed refer to deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, killed today by revolutionary forces, as a "murdered martyr." Chávez told journalists, "Raul Castro and I were just talking, and I remember that Raul told me, 'they're going to kill him.' Well, sadly, they did it, they murdered him. It's another hard blow in life, but what else can I say?"


Chávez said that he would remember Gaddafi as "a fighter, and now a martyr. But the Yankee empire will not dominate this world."

If I've missed some other official expression of regret or sadness over Gaddafi's demise, let me know. But I believe Chávez' comments were the only ones. Curiously (since Chávez made direct reference to Raul Castro), Cuban state media itself was completely neutral today. It reported Gaddafi's death in a simple news story, without any editorial commentary (at least so far, but stand by for Fidel's periodic Reflections of the Commandante. The last one in September was 5,000 words, and closed with, "End of Part I -- to be continued").

Speaking of Fidel's reflections and Muammar Gaddafi:: http://mexicogulfreporter.blogspot.com/2011/09/fidel-castro-wakes-up-for-few-minutes.html?showComment=1317101275424#c5399991550222487875.

Here's a fascinating and very brief CNN biography of Gaddafi -- well worth the read: http://us.cnn.com/2011/10/20/opinion/stjohn-gadhafi-life-and-times/index.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment